Monsoons have made their grand entry giving us Mumbaikars much respite from the sweltering summer heat. Although clichéd, reactions like petrichor winds and tip-tip sounds of raindrops with trees and roads awash with renewed freshness are out in full force already. While typical monsoon fare like roasted corn by the roadside and pakodas with evening tea are making us drool in anticipation, it also means bidding adieu to the king of fruits; mango. Why not do it in style and indulge in a fun mango dessert while they’re still available in the market?
Our family takes the term ‘mango people’ to the next level. One can expect a world war-like situation in my home if a mango isn’t evenly divided or someone gets to bite on the extra pulp on the seed twice in a row. Aamras, mango kheer, mango cake, and mango ice-cream is an annual ritual that’s never compromised. We’re mango fanatics to the core! Today’s Mango Dessert recipe was the surprise showstopper for my husband’s birthday lunch and boy, he was bowled over!
Thick Mango shake – 1 glass
(Mango pulp blended with sugar and little milk)
Chopped mango pieces – 1 cup
Mango ice-cream – 1 scoop
Sweetened whipped cream – ½ cup or as required
Choco-chip cookies (coarsely crushed) – 6-7
Sabja seeds (soaked for half an hour in water) – 2 tbsp
Chopped mango pieces
Chocolate wafer cigar
1. Set all the ingredients on your kitchen counter. Apart from sabja seeds and cookies, all others must be refrigerated before use.
2. Take a beautiful tall glass that will suitably highlight your layers. Make sure that it’s clean and dry.
3. Put some chopped mango pieces at the bottom of the glass for the first layer of your Homemade Layered Mango Dessert.
4. Top it up with mango shake. Pour a thick layer while leaving enough space for other goodies.
5. Next is a layer of sweetened whipped cream followed by a sprinkle of crushed choco-chip cookies with a quick second whipped cream layer over it.
6. Set the sabja seeds over the whipped cream. Remember to make a layer at the sides since they might sink in the middle.
7. Pour another generous layer of thick mango shake over them leaving about an inch from the top.
8. Place the mango ice-cream scoop in the middle. Garnish it with chopped dry-fruits, chopped mango pieces, colourful balls/vermicelli, and a chocolate wafer cigar.
9. Your Homemade Layered Mango Dessert is ready! Enjoy it immediately or store it in the freezer for later. It is highly advised to not leave it unattended though!
The sweet melting ice-cream, thick mango shake, crunchy dry-fruits and cookies and the soft bite of mango pieces is a yummy food-coma inducing combination that keeps surprising you as you keep digging into it. This Homemade Layered Mango Dessert was secretly planned and executed by me and Angel, which makes it the perfect fun activity you can enjoy with your kids too. You can put it together in less than 5 minutes if you have all the ingredients handy. It is an ideal treat for your loved ones, or yourself. In the impossible possibility of someone disliking mangoes (!), you can make the same dessert with chikoo, strawberry, banana, peach, or any sweet and pulpy fruit.
Did you like the recipe? Are you a mango lover like us too? Any special favourites? Do leave your comments for me.
© This site A Vibrant Palette is the property of Varsha Bagadia. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Varsha Bagadia and A Vibrant Palette with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.