I have few favourite ingredients that I love to work around with. Tomato, with its versatility and nutritive value, is one such. Any gravy recipe is incomplete without it. I use it extensively in my cooking and keep trying to find ways to make it taste different and more interesting than before.
The other day I spotted baby tomatoes in the vegetable market and within moments this recipe had taken shape in my mind. I was glad that it turned out even better than I had expected. It is easy and doesn’t need much time and effort. So without much ado, let’s go straight to it then!
Baby tomatoes – 250 grams
Oil – 1 tbsp
Hing (asafoetida) – a pinch
Besan (roasted) – 3-4 tbps
Garlic (minced) – 4-5 cloves
Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
Ajwain or carom seeds – 1 tsp
Garam masala – ½ tbsp
Coriander powder – ½ tbsp
Red chilly powder – ½ tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tbsp
Cumin powder – ¼ tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)- 2-3 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water as required
1. Wash the tomatoes and slice off their tops gently. Remove the seeds with the help of a small knife, spoon or scooper carefully. The tomatoes must be firm and intact.
2. Take a bowl and add all the stuffing ingredients to it, except water. Mix them all well together, preferably by hand. Take care that the mixture is not runny or dry, adding water accordingly. You should be able to make balls with the mixture.
3. Stuff it in the hollow of the tomatoes generously till the top and keep them aside. Save some mixture to add in the pan.
4. Take a non-stick pan and add oil to it. Heat the oil and add heeng to it. Add the stuffing mixture to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add the tomatoes and mix them all well together. Try not using a ladle, tossing the pan lightly would be better.
5. Cover the pan and cook on low flame for 5-10 minutes, checking occasionally. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and have a lovely brown layer on them.
6. Remove in a lovely serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and fried red chillies.
* Tip ~ If you cannot find baby tomatoes you can follow the same recipe and make it with diced tomatoes. It tastes just as good! 🙂
You can never go wrong with this recipe. Treat your guests with it and bask in their compliments or make your family rave about your cooking skills yet again, it is up to you. 🙂
Do you have any favourite ingredients? Does innovative cooking interest you too? Please do share with me.