One of the things I love about cooking is the endless possibilities it offers us. Knowing recipes is one thing and creating something extraordinary out of them by introducing our personal tweaks is another. Retaining originality is one thing and mixing it up by infusing new flavours is another. I like to surprise my tongue with my experiments (which thankfully turn out well most of times ;-)) and my family’s always game too. 🙂
Vegetarians have a bit of a struggle in getting the required quantity of protein in their diet. The options are limited and for a mother it gets all the more challenging to make her kids get their daily fill. Oh how kids (or even adults) turn their noses up at the sight of sprouts or soya! However, enterprising cooks know how to cheat their way into health. 😀
I’m sharing three simple yet fun recipes today which have the goodness of Tofu and sweet potato. Tofu is a great source of protein, iron and calcium while sweet potato, a favourite of most kids, is high in fibre and potassium. I tried this unusual combination and loved the way it turned out. Hope you will too.
All these recipes are made for the measure of 100 grams of tofu and 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes which are boiled/baked as required.
Mint flavoured tofu and sweet potato in soy sauce:
1. Cut tofu in half inch cubes and dice baked sweet potatoes in roughly the same shape and size. Toss them in a pan with some oil or butter till they turn slightly brown. Remove from flame.
2. Add some oil to the same pan and when hot add some finely chopped garlic to it. Once garlic is brown add half cup finely chopped mint and one cup finely chopped coriander to it.
3. Stir fry them till they lose their moisture and get slightly crisp. Now add some red/green chilly sauce, soy sauce, sugar and salt to the mixture. Let it all come together well and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
4. Now add the tofu and sweet potatoes to it and toss them all together. Let them cook for 3-4 minutes to let the flavours blend well.
This dish is a good option for a starter. You can also enjoy it with Hakka noodles or Fried rice as an accompaniment.
Garlic-flavoured tofu and sweet potato Dosa stuffing:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add some finely chopped garlic to it. Once it loses its raw flavour add chopped green chillies and onions and fry till it turns translucent.
2. Now add tofu (finely chopped or crushed) and boiled and mashed sweet potato to the pan. Season it with salt and black pepper powder. Adding turmeric is optional, I chose not to.
3. Stir the mixture well and add chopped coriander and lemon juice to it. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then turn off the flame.
Luckily for me, garlic in dosas is not sacrilege. Although I love the traditional potato stuffing in dosas of late I’ve enjoyed using paneer, rice vermicelli, etc stuffing too. You may skip the garlic if you like but the rest of the recipe could work for you. Also, feel free to add veggies to it.
Tofu and sweet potato tikkis:
1. You can also make tikkis with the same mixture. Shallow fry them in a pan and relish them with some dahi, mint chutney and imli chutney.
2. Garnish with sev and chat masala.
Hope you liked these recipes as much as I did. My family often insists me to make some or the other variation of tofu and sweet potato for them now. Healthy, nutritious, simple and yummy, what else do we need food for? Oh wait, low in calories too! 🙂 😉